Our client seeks suitable candidates for the above-mentioned role. The details below outline the
necessary requirements for this role.
The Lead Agronomist will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of all field activities for
the project under the sorghum value chain. He/she will be responsible for on-boarding agro-
entrepreneurs using organization’s business model. He/she will ensure that sorghum farmers joining
the program receive quality extension services, access quality inputs and aggregate and market their
produce every season. He/she will be responsible for mobilising appropriate resources to
consolidate and report field monitoring data and gather useful learning to inform improvement of
the overall performance of the project. He/she will be the key liaison person between the
Sightsavers, implementing partners and the management at the counties level.
The Lead Agronomist will report directly to the Agri services Operations Lead and functionality to
the Head of Agri services and will be required to collaborate closely with the project consortium
Primary location: Migori County with supervision roles in Homa Bay and Kisumu counties
Key Roles and Responsibilities.
- Overall oversight of all intervention activities at the county level in relation to agro-
entrepreneur development, farmers engagement and empowerment, crop production,
aggregation, and marketing.
- Drive day to day sorghum production activities including management of crop calendar,
input procurement, planting, and crop management, harvesting and post – harvest handling
- Responsible for mobilizing agro-entrepreneurs to offer farmer services including input
access, advisory, mechanization, aggregation, finance, and markets
- Establish high quality demonstration sites(plots) to be used in delivery of practical farmer
trainings by the agro-entrepreneurs.
- Initiate collaboration and local partnerships with the County and Sub – County Agricultural
officers, input suppliers and other relevant service providers and identify leverage
opportunities capable of adding value to the project
- Monitor and provide timely periodic data to inform collation of reports from the
accomplished field activities
- Responsible for ensuring that data reported is of high-quality standards of accuracy,
reliability, credibility, and confidentiality and that it is in tandem with the services offered to
- Reporting program progress in timelines agreed upon primarily weekly, monthly, and
quarterly but may also requested to prepare ad hoc reports
- Work closely with BDS provider to facilitate commercialization of farming systems within the
sorghum value chain with specific emphasis to PWDs,
- Organize peer learning sessions and provide feedback on progress of implementation
Required Qualifications and Key Competencies.
- Degree in either of the following disciplines; Agriculture, Agriculture Education and
Extension, Agribusiness management.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in related commercialized agricultural value chain
either in the private, rural or community development organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in data collection and reporting for similar programs
- Experience working with production groups, cooperatives or contracted farmers will be
- Ability to ride a motorcycle with at-least 2-year experience and a valid riding license.
- Excellent command of Swahili and English.
- Excellent presentation, report writing and communication skills.
Interested Candidates should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your updated CV.
Email reference title should be APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF LEAD AGRONOMIST.
Consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within a month’s time.
All applications will be given due considerations based on MERIT.